MEN’S HEALTH AWARENESS MONTH: DAY 2- Eat Breakfast
We get so caught up with “looking good,”sometimes we forget the “living well” part of our lives. Yes, a suit looks good on us, but if we don’t take care of ourselves the next could be the one we are wearing in a casket. Perhaps that is a bit extreme, but our health is something that we should not neglect.
Day 2: Eat Breakfast
The most important meal of the day. How you start your day will determine how you will end it. Eating a well-balanced breakfast composed of whole grains, protein, fruits and vegetables will provide you with the fuel needed to tackle those financial spread sheets waiting at your desk.Try this recipe from Esquires Recipes for Men series below:
Griddled Egg-and-Bacon Sandwich
- 2 thick slices applewood-smoked bacon, diced small
- Fresh black pepper and sea salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 slices whole-wheat or grain bread
- Sliced cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp butter
- Start off by rendering two nice, thick slices of applewood-smoked bacon, diced small, in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Crack some fresh black pepper over the bacon, and while it’s cooking, whisk three large eggs with a tablespoon of sour cream and a quarter cup of water. Whole-wheat bread or grain bread works nicely for this — lay out four slices and top each with sliced cheddar. When the bacon is just about done, strain out the fat (saving it) and add the eggs to the pan with the bacon.
- Let them almost set before lightly scrambling them with a wooden spoon. When the eggs are about done, divide them onto two slices of the bread.
- Sprinkle sea salt on the eggs and then cover them with the other two slices of bread and cheese. After wiping out the pan with a dry cloth, add some of the bacon fat and a tablespoon of butter to the pan over low heat and place the two sandwiches in the pan.
- Cover and let them cook for about four minutes, until they are golden brown, then flip them over for another four minutes.
- When the cheese is melted, they’re done. Only one pan from start to finish. Makes two sandwiches.
Total time to prepare: 10 minutes